Monday, August 6, 2007

Remembering Alan

Dad, Me, Judy, Alan, Gail & June

My brother died one year ago today, suddenly and unexpectedly. This is not going to be a maudlin post because he was not that kind of guy. He was a big guy with a big heart, who loved to tease his younger sisters. I miss my brother.

A few weeks after his death I was reading a devotional that seemed to be just what I needed to see at that time in my life. Of course I had read this before but it was what I needed right then.

It was from John 11. In John 11, Jesus was talking to Martha, who was grieving the death of her brother. He said: "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die"

The author of the devotional goes on to say this. For each "today" we are given and for the inevitable "tomorrow" that will come, we don't have to be afraid. Jesus is with all who trust Him, and He will have the last word.

Safe Travels,

Joan


5 comments:

Kelli said...

This month marks the one two year anniversary of my dad's passing to Heaven. I miss him, too. But, one day .... one day!

Hugs to you today.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

What a beautiful post. I came a little closer to coming to terms with death when my grandson died. It's so very hard to understand, but I never actually questioned "why?". Our little Conner died almost at birth. I just figure that he was a perfect little soul that had nothing to learn here on earth and was able to teach us all we needed to know without having to go thru the hardship of living. Does that make sense? I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I guess my main point would be that I have tremendous comfort in knowing that Conner is happy with God. Grieving is for us, here on earth. Those who have passed on are done with any suffering. It's great that you can honor your brother AND the way he lived with the way you expressed your thoughts to us here in Blogland. It was an honor to read this post.

Justabeachkat said...

Joan

I'm so sorry to read about your brother's death. I can really understand why John 11 is such a comfort. We, who believe, know that our love ones are with God...what a comfort!

Hugs!
Kat

judy said...

I too miss Alan. He did have a big heart and would do anything for his little sisters. Thanks for the good thoughts and memories.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Joan that was so sweet and you are right, Alan, was a great brother who loved to tease his sisters. Especially me the baby!! But, he always made us laugh!!!