Saturday, August 25, 2007

18 Hours

In the past 18 hours my sweetie and I had two different funerals to go to. The first one was the brother of one of our good friends. He was killed in what seems to be a random act of violence last weekend. Needless to say, that one was very hard to go to. Our friend was very close to her brother, he was only 51 years old. It's hard to know the words to say to someone in this situation, sometimes all you can do is be there for them.


The second funeral was my sweetie's cousin. She had a terminal illness and everyone knew what the outcome would be, but it doesn't make it any easier on the family. I love this big extended Italian family that I married into. When they get together each Christmas Eve, there is food from recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. It's wonderful to catch up with everyone. This particular cousin had moved away many years ago, so I didn't really know her. They brought her home so she could spend her last days with family and in talking to my sweetie's aunt it sounded like her last days were peaceful and full of love.

Anyway, on this hot August weekend, I am holding my family and friends close and counting my blessings.


Safe Travels,



Joan

2 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Both deaths are very sad and I'm so sorry. You're so right...we need to hold on to those we love. We just never know.

Hugs!
Kat

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Sorry, I've been out of town - just got back in earlier today or I would have posted something much sooner.
I'm so sorry about both losses. That's an awful lot to absorb, isn't it? I hope your friend can find some peace about what happened to her brother but to lose someone thru something so horrible is hard to bear, I'm sure. I would think there would be many more "what if(s)" and "if only(s)" and just plain "why(s)" with something like that. It's awful.
And the cousin - well, I know it would have had to have been difficult for your husband. It was good to hear that the aunt indicated that her last days were peaceful and full of love. That's the best way to leave this world, don't you think? Still...what a rough time you guys have had these past few days.

Hope things start to feel much better soon! I'll be thinking of you.