Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Weekend That Wasn't and Chick Flicks

Okay, so this weekend didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would. We did go downtown on Fountain Square in Cincy on Friday night for the Flying Pig Marathon party but we didn't stay for the pink fireworks. Bummer! It had been raining on and off on Friday night and we had our granddaughter Maddie and our nine months pregnant daughter Melissa with us. Maddie of course loved the rain, she thought it was fun. So we stayed for a little while and enjoyed the food. They had a pink carpet instead of a red one going into this big tent. Here are a few photos of the pig centerpieces they had on the tables. I thought they were very cute.
But then Saturday morning there was more rain, sometimes it was heavy. So I decided not to go down to where they were having the kiddie races and to where they were having a few races before the big one on Sunday. My sweetie had to go because he was announcing winners but with just getting over being sick, I was not going to hang out in the rain. So I went to see Made of Honor. Now I know this movie has been getting trashed in the critics reviews but I thought it was cute. I give it a chick flick two thumbs up. I enjoyed it, yes it was predictable and yes there were never any big surprises but hey it was fun and they were in Scotland for part of the movie so that was fun to watch also. I think it's a fun date night movie.
Anyway, after the announcing of the races Saturday morning, my sweetie came home and by late afternoon he was really sick, bad stomach cramps etc.....He went straight to bed where he has been all day. Poor guy, he is really wiped out. He couldn't even go to the big race this morning and do the announcing. So I told him today that we would watch chick flicks all day. That didn't seem to cheer him up too much. LOL Actually he fell asleep and I watched chick flicks most of the day in between taking care of my patient. I watched 27 dresses and part of The Lake House, which was on HBO and the old Sabrina movie with Audrey Hepburn. I did get out The Notebook which is the ultimate chick flick but ran out of time to watch it. So what is your favorite chick flick? I have lots, I love Nottinghill with Julia Roberts and I don't know if Under the Tuscan Sun counts as a chick flick but I like that one also. I better go, my patient is calling for me. If he's too sick for work tomorrow, I'll have him watching some chick flicks all day, that'll cure him fast. LOL Have a good one!



20 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Oh how cute are those centerpieces?!!

So sorry to hear your hubby is sick. Bless his heart! Don't you go get sick again, ok?

Hugs!
Kat

kari and kijsa said...

hope your hubby is feeling better! the pig is too cute!! Have a blessed Sunday!!

Smiles,
kari & kijsa

Donna said...

Oh Goodness! Hope it not food poisoning...My favorite chick flick? Under the Tuscan Sun!! I could watch it a hundred times and never tire of it...Don't work too hard taking care of the patient!!hughugs

LZ Blogger said...

Joan ~ Rain and Parties just don't go togethter do they? I always start signuing "Rain Rain Go Away!" As for both of those Chick Flicks. I happened to like them BOTH... I prefer the words "Romatic Comedy", to describe when I tell people that I saw them. Other wise, I feel like one of those 17 million GUYS who watch Opray! (And by the way... just in case you wonder) I HAVE! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about hubby, hope you don't get it too!! My favorite chick flick...hmmm. gotta think about that one for a minute.....probably Sweet Home Alabama and Baby Boom are two of my favs and of course The Notebook. Have a good day Joan.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Anonymous said...

Those little pigs are so cute!

I hope your Hubby gets well soon!

My favorite chick flick of all time is Steele Magnolia's and a recent one that I seen and loved is the 27 dresses.

PS...I've got a Mother's Day giveaway going on so don't forget to come see me!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Favorite chick flick?
Fried Green Tomatoes of course.

Kellan said...

I'm sorry your hubby got to feeling so bad - poor thing! ANd sorry the weekend did not turn out like you would have liked!

Nice to see you - I have missed you. Take care - Kellan

savvycityfarmer said...

YOU ARE ONE BUSY LADY....WHEW!!!1

david mcmahon said...

Hang on, I'm looking for directions to the Flying Pig, so I can meet you there next time!!

Christine Boles said...

I would say Under the Tuscan Sun is a total chick flick!
I can't think what my favorite one is, there are so many...

The areas I have been showing on my blog are all in the Western Cincy area~ if you go to WWC site you can look at their map.

http://westernwildlifecorridor.org/map.htm

Mimi said...

sorry your sweetie is sick...and it rained...and you missed,, watching the pigs fly...and the pink fireworks
hope He is feeling better...and the rain is over...
at least you were able to watch lots of chick flicks...

Sandi McBride said...

Oh what delicious torture...an entire day of chick flicks...but can I put one murder/mayhem movie in just for a little twist? Sorry your weekend was a washout (no pun intended) and hope your sweetie is all recovered now...sorry Maddie was rain play deprived...nine months...am I wrong or aren't we having lots of babies coming due in blogland? Jana-Banana anyday now, Jodie's little Kara is here now, Carol's Jude...wow...can't wait to see your little bundle's little bundle!
hugs
Sandi

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Fabulous piggy centerpieces.
Hope you are all feeling better soon!
I love chick flicks too - there was a period of time that my husband said - "no more julia roberts films in this house" he wasn't serious but doesn't really care for her. I LOVE Notting Hill and Love Actually.

Have a great day.
Blessings,
Sandy

Rue said...

Hi Joan :)

I'm sorry your hubby is sick :( But, it gave you the chance to watch some great movies ;)

Give me a Meg Ryan movie any day of the week. LOVE her back in the good ol' days, before the hoopla.

Hope you don't get sick too!
rue :)

Peta said...

I like "Enchanted", a very sweet movie :)

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I saw Made of Honor, too, and LOVED IT! I don't know what all those crazy critics are going on about. It's a perfectly sweet and funny movie...what more do they want??

Hope your sweetie has recovered. I loved the concept of your When Pigs Fly Festival there in Cincy. Too funny. (And I'm with you all the way in not dressing up just to be part of it. lol) Hate you had to miss the pink fireworks, though. I bet they were awesome!

Kari

Knit-Wit said...

I enjoy Kate and Leopold, all the Jane Austin books and movies, and Pretty Woman is always a favorite.

A Captured Reflection said...

I liked Made of Honour, I loved the filming on the Isle of Skye in Scotland - made hubby and I sentimental for our times in Scotland! xxx

Maria said...

Sorry to hear about your hubby's illness. I love chick flicks too-some of my favorites are You've Got Mail, The Lake House, Sleepless in Seattle.