Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tales (Tails) From The Pig

Here are the winners of the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on Sunday. Since we didn't make it to the race this year, which is the first time in years, I thought I'd share a couple of stories with you. One is from last year and the other happened on Sunday during the race. I don't know how many of you have ever been involved in a marathon or race, but there is alot of energy and excitement all along the course and especially at the finish line. It is a huge accomplishment for anyone to do this, whether you are running, walking or are in a wheel chair. Last year both my sweetie and I were working the finish line when one of the runners doing the half marathon came across the finish line and collapsed. Alot of runners come across and just are physically spent but this was different. This man died. One of our good friends is the executive director of the marathon and her husband decided to help the widow by trying to locate her husband's car which he had driven to downtown Cincinnati by himself to the race and no one knew where it was parked. So our friend searched the parking lots and garages in downtown so the widow did not have to do this. It was emotionally hard for our friend to do this but he finally located the car and got the key from the man's widow and turned on the car and music came on. The man who had died had been listening to a praise and worship cd before he got out of that car that morning. Our friend just had a sense of peace right then. You may be saying so what? It just showed me what an awesome God we have, he gave our friend peace in knowing this man was a Christian and was in the presence of God at that very moment.

So this year another runner collapsed during the race this time. This man was a experience marathon runner and he had a heart attack on the course. Running behind him were a group of firefighters who were running in honor of their firefighter friends who had just died in a tragic fire in Cincinnati. Alot of people run for different causes in the race. Firefighters are trained in CPR. They stopped and gave him CPR and helped save his life. There are trained medics all along the course. He is now in the hospital and the paper said he should be okay. I just thought both stories were worth being shared. I honestly believe that both stories show God's mercy and love in them.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday! It is a beautiful one here in Ohio today. I am getting my toes done later on, thanks to my sister Judy and her friends Barb and Debbie for the wonderful gift certificate they gave me to my favorite nail salon. Thanks guys! You know pretty toes make me happy. :-)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your stories. They really make you think about how we never know what life will bring us. Two of my brothers and my dad (retired) are firefighters, and all firefighters have a special place in my heart for all they do. That runner at the marathon was truly blessed to have those men there to help him.

Donna said...

Goodness! Thank you for sharing those stories sweetie...really makes you think!
Happy "toe" fixins!!lol...hughugs

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Great inspiring stories, Joan. Thanks.

Kari

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your pedi!☺

I've never had one but I feel like one is in my very near future...LOL!

Knit-Wit said...

Two gals in my Bible Study are marathon runners and you've just convinced me to not join them. LOL But if I ever do get an urge to run... I'll be sure to run with firefighters. :)

Kellan said...

What great stories - our God is something, isn't he!?

My sister likes pretty toe nails too!

Have a good evening - see ya - Kellan

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

What an awesome God we have. Putting the right people in the right place at the right time.

What a sweet and thoughtful gift.

Have the most splendid tomorrow ever...Mary

Justabeachkat said...

I enjoyed the stories. Life is amazing!

Enjoy your pedicure. Pretty toes are important to me too. LOL

Hugs!
Kat

judy said...

Hi Joan,

You did such a wonderful job with our 50th birthday trip and we wanted to do something special just for you. I knew it would be something you would enjoy! Thanks again for helping us have such a special trip!

Love, Judy