Sunday, December 21, 2008

Andes Mint Cookies and Pizzelles

I just finished reading this really cute book called On Strike For Christmas by Sheila Roberts. It's about a group of women who get tired of doing all the work preparing for Christmas and not being appreciated for their efforts, so they go on strike and make their husbands do all of the work that they usually do to get ready for Christmas. I got my book from Target and it is a fun read. But at the back of the book the author has some recipes and the Andes Mint Cookies one caught my attention right away. She said this was in the Prevention magazine a few seasons ago so I figure it must be pretty healthy right? RIGHT???? Here's the recipe and if you are not all worn out making cookies yet, go and make these babies, they are so good.


These things taste so much better than they are looking in the photograph. The chocolate ones are the ones I am talking about and the other cookie is one of the pizzelles that we also made today. To make pizzelles you will need a pizzelle maker. I got mine at Sur La Table. Pizzelles are crisp Italian cookies and we make them almost every year. They are so yummy and my sweetie loves them. So here's the recipe for the Andes Mint Cookies:

3/4 cup of butter

1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons water

2 cups(12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups of flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 to 3 boxes Andes creme de menthe mints

chocolate sprinkles(optional)

1)In a large, heavy saucepan over low heat, cook butter, sugar and water until butter is melted. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and stir until it is completely melted.

2)Pour the mixture into a large mixer bowl and let stand for ten minutes to cool sightly. With mixer at high speed, beat in eggs 1 at a time. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, beating just until blended. Chill dough one hour for easier handling.

3)Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Roll dough into small balls(about 1 inch); place 2 inches apart on cookies sheets. Bake 12 to 13 minutes - no longer(cookies will crisp as they cool) Remove from oven and immediately place a mint over each cookies. Allow it to soften, then swirl over top(I used a toothpick to swirl). If desired, decorate with chocolate sprinkles. Remove from cookie sheets and cool. Frosting will harden once it cools. Makes about 80. We also used the pink Andes peppermint holiday candies along with the chocolate and green ones they always have. Like I said they don't look that exciting in the photos but they taste like little pieces of chocolate heaven with chocolate mints on top. And check out the book, On Strike For Christmas too, it's a fun time. I am almost ready for the big day, we are going grocery shopping bright and early tomorrow so I am off to bed so I can hit the floor running tomorrow!





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That book sounds great. Will look to see if we can get it here in England.
Thank you so much for the recipe.

Brit. (lille meg) said...

Looks very jummy!:) But I can't bake every reciepe I see.

I wish you a merry and blessed Christmas, and a happy new year!

Sally said...

YUMMY!!!! Pass the plate, please. :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! (hugs)

Donna said...

This sounds soooo yummy! But I MUST go on a diet very, very soon (or else I have to shop for bigger size clothing, LOL)!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Oh Yummy! I'm looking forward to all the Christmas goodies I only eat once a year ~thankfully!
Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and very Happy New Year!
Blessings,
Sandy

Maria said...

I read that book last holiday season and really enjoyed it! The cookies look delicious.

Happy Holidays! And thank you for the snail mail Christmas card. That was very sweet of you.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Thank you so much for visiting. Merry Christmas to you. And these pictures look soooo yummy

Rue said...

Hi Joan :)

Those look really good! The book sounds funny too. I think Rich would die having to do all of it himself LOL

Maddie looks so cute snuggled up in those flannel sheets and I loved the train pics. I'll be able to go next year ;)

Have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year with your beautiful family!

hugs,
rue

Christine Boles said...

That book sounds really good!
I'm not ready for Christmas, yet, and judging by the traffic I've been facing when I hit a store, I'd say about half the western side of Cincy is not ready yet, either! I keep asking why they can't be more prepared, so IIIII can have the roads and stores all to myself! :D