Monday, October 1, 2007

Home From Alaska

In Skagway, do I look cold?


Docking in Juneau, loved the mountains with the streams coming down them.


This was in Ketchikan and this is where it rained the most and hardest but look at the background in this picture, just wonderful.



Hi Everyone! I made it back in one piece from Alaska last night. It was quite a journey, we started in Vancouver and went to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and then headed south to San Francisco and ended the cruise in LA and had four days at sea for a total of a nine day cruise. It was wonderful, I don't think that pictures can get the full picture of how beautiful this state really is and I didn't even get to go inland to see more of it. I will go back to this beautiful state for sure and maybe try to go when it's not the rainy season because it rained everyday in Alaska and I mean some hard rain with wind gusts and fog, but I was grateful to get to go. I seen so many whales, but here's the deal with the whales, you see them so fast and it's usually just a glimpse of a back of them and it's really hard to get a picture. One of my travel agent friends traveling with me got a picture of one breaching (I think that's what it's called) and she promised to send it to me and she said it was just plain luck she got the shot. I never seen one bald eagle and it might have had something to do with the rain and fog because it was hard to see up in the mountains. But I did see the salmon running up stream, that was really cool. I took pictures of it but it's hard to get water shots. Some of my friends seen bears but no moose. My seminar at sea was great, I learned so much and it really was interesting. I will go back and next time, my sweetie will go with me. This trip also made me want to see the Canadian Rockies, we learned all about them at the seminar and they look beyond beautiful. I made some new friends and had a great time. My sweet husband was waiting for me at the airport when I got home and he brought Maddie (my granddaughter) with him even though it was past her bedtime and he went to the grocery yesterday and got all my favorite foods for me. Okay, here's the bad news, I gained two pounds on the cruise. But really I don't think that's too bad because you should have seen what I was eating. For the first two days I really tried to count points with Weight Watchers and they did have options with the food but I would look at my table companions meals and my mouth would just water so I gave in and I don't regret it. I have the whole month to get off the two pounds. I also had a great time with my friend Sherra who went with me, she took care of me when I was sick from the 30 foot waves and she helped me with my luggage so I wouldn't strain my back which some of you guys prayed for me while I was gone. Thanks so much for doing that, my back was pretty good the whole time. So now it's back to work and all that fun stuff. I will catch up with all of your blogs this week, it just might take me awhile. I am moving slow today and my body is still feeling like it's on the ship. I'll post more pictures later on and I wanted to show you pictures of some of the things I bought. I didn't buy much, mostly for the babies. Can't wait to catch up with ya'll. Thanks for stopping by while I was gone. Also in all the pictures above, I look like a drowned rat and that's because I was. But after awhile you didn't even bother to fix your hair and makeup before you went out because it was a waste of time. These are just a few pictures, not even the best shots but it gives you an idea of how pretty it is.



Safe Travels,



Joan

7 comments:

Knit-Wit said...

Welcome Home!

Alaska is one place where I have always wanted to visit. Someday we'll get there.

Nunnie's Attic said...

So happy to hear that you had a good time despite the weather and the waves. I'm sure that it's beautiful and maybe some day I'll get there myself. But in the meantime, I just happy traveling through your pictures.

Love,
Julie

judy said...

Hi Joan, Glad you made it back safe and sound. It looks like it was an incredible trip. One of these days I'll get to Alaska.

Judy

Dianne said...

Sounds like a great trip...I can't wait to see more pictures!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Welcome home! I would so love to do an Alaskan cruise! Someday.

Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandy :)

Christine Boles said...

Glad you made it back! I've heard how a lot about how beautiful Alaska is~ thank you so much for sharing the photos!

Justabeachkat said...

Welcome home and thanks for posting a few photos. Can't wait to see more.

Hugs!
Kat